Hi, my name is Melissa and I am a geeky mom.
What does that mean? Basically, I haven’t given up the fangirl life now that I have a beautiful 6-month-old daughter, Luna Ivy (no, she was not named after Harry Potter or Sailor Moon, but actually a Smashing Pumpkins song). Since becoming a mom, the way I geek out has definitely changed (I can’t stay up late Netflix binging or travel to San Diego Comic Con yearly), but I still express it almost daily in my wardrobe. Even during my pregnancy, I was still rocking nerdy tees, such as this Banksy-inspired Potter shirt. I just sized up for a better fit over my belly.
Now that Luna is here, I’ve had to learn to dress a little differently to maximize comfort when toting around a little babe. This means less short skirts and more leggings, which luckily can still leave me looking geek chic thanks to TeeFury’s awesome collection! My personal favorites? The Potter emoji leggings! Yeah, I know…there definitely seems to be a trend here and I’m OK with it.
But the biggest bonus of having a little halfling? I can now pass the fangirl torch to her. To me, being a fangirl means being enthusiastic about life – so much so that you want to share it with the whole world. It is something that I have thankfully never repressed, and for this reason has made so many amazing things possible. I have made friendships with people all over the world, I have had experiences I will always remember, and opportunities I otherwise would have never been offered. This enthusiasm is something I hope I can pass down to Luna. May she embrace the things that make her heart happy, whatever they may be, and not feel ashamed to share them at maximum enthusiasm with the world. Let’s refer to it as my fangirl legacy.
With it being Mother’s Day, I’d like to share some of my favorite finds for both mom and baby that lend to the geeky lifestyle. Think of it as a gift from one geeky lady to another.
- Jordan Dene Baby Onesies – I absolutely love Jordan and her beautifully bold fandom script tees and totes. Thankfully she didn’t just stop with us big kids, and thought of the little ones too! Her “Younglings” collection is to die for. In fact, Little Luna is wearing her Mischief Managed onesie in the photos featured.
- TeeFury Leggings – As mentioned above, a mom’s best friend is a pair of leggings. Comfy and stretchy, they allow for all the necessary (and unnecessary) movements of caring for a little human. I love that I can still share my love of fandom while still experiencing comfort. Plus, TeeFury is always restocking new, limited edition designs (and right now they’re on sale – shop the whole collection here).
- Art by Danny Prints – Speaking of nursery decor, one way to continue geeking up your kiddo’s room is to incorporate fandom art. My personal favorite are Art by Danny prints. They are so amazingly beautiful and would fit in with any nursery!
- Doctor Who Diaper Bag – Every mom’s best friend is a roomy diaper bag that is also fashionable, so I adore that there are geeky options out there for us fangirls. This Doctor Who comic bag would be the perfect baby shower gift for your neighborhood Whovian (or, you know, yourself).
- Geeky Bibs – If your kid is anything like mine, your life will revolve around spit up, when it will happen and where it will land. Thus, babies are always in a bib, at all times. At least, they should be unless you want to be making multiple outfit changes a day. This is why they are such important accessories and an easy way to make any baby outfit, a geeky one. Check out this great Mario Collage bib from Etsy and keep browsing the shop for more affordable geeky baby goodies.
Mommin’ ain’t easy, and I salute all of you today and every day!